We are very pleased to welcome you all to the 2018-2019 school year at the American International School of Mozambique (AISM). My name is Ian Hoke, and I am the new Secondary School Principal. My wife, Kalley, will be teaching Grade 5, and my two daughters, Dorothy and Juliet, are eager to begin their year at AISM.
I am American and British, raised in the American state of Ohio. This is my nineteenth year in education, and I have taught and led in public schools in both Kyrgyzstan and on the Navajo Nation in America and in international schools in China and, most recently, Switzerland. I am pleased to find my passion for learner-centered education matched by our enthusiastic faculty at AISM, and I look forward to meeting all of you in the days and weeks ahead.
We are especially pleased to welcome so many new students and their families to our Buffalo Herd. Additionally, we are also excited to welcome dynamic new teachers and leaders. You will be receiving a letter from your child’s homeroom teacher by the end of the second week of school, and you will have an opportunity to meet all teachers on the 24th of August when we have our open parent orientation day and Welcome Back Barbeque. All AISM parents are invited to an open day at 9:00 in the morning of the 24th of August followed by a welcome back BBQ. Details will follow.
This week there are no after school activities, however there are try-outs for varsity teams. The try-outs for High School Volleyball and Track & Field are on Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Busses will be available.
The Secondary School is pleased to welcome the following new faculty:
Michael Bond-Clegg Middle School Vice Principal & Middle Years Program Coordinator
Peter Hennigar Middle School Science Teacher
Jeff Nesmith Secondary School Digital Living Coach
Jay Inman High School Science Teacher
Amanda Torti Middle School Mathematics Teacher
Francis McIvor College Counselor
Additionally, please note the following important points of information:
- Classes begin promptly at 07:30
- School ends at 14:30
- Please read our Acceptable Use Policy for technology and our Code of Conduct with your child. These documents may be found in our community portal on the website.
- Please sign the forms your child brings home and return them to the homeroom teacher by the end of this week.
- Friday, August 23, is our Buffalo Quest. The Buffalo Quest is a school spirit event for Secondary School students from 14:30 to 17:00.
- Please note that our Week Without Walls is September 23-27. Initial information about your learner’s Week Without Walls trip has been shared via email, and more information will be coming from Mr. Lee Clagnaz in the Integrated Learning office.
Throughout the year, should you have a question or a need to speak with me, please contact Yolanda Roberto at email@example.com. I am excited about the learning ahead for me and for each of your students. I wish you all a highly successful, happy, and healthy year.
All the best,